금요일, 8월 05, 2005
  Kugak and jazz 국악과 재즈 album Invite the Spirit 초혼

For about two years I've been quite interested in kugak and jazz fusion or crossover music. Actually, my first encounter with any Korean music, about six years ago, was from albums by Jim Hi Kim 김진희. I was immediately drawn to the gritty and noisy sounds of her Kŏmun'go 거문고. Although I wouldn't call Kim's music kugak & jazz, it is certainly a blend of new/avant improvisation and kugak. Since hearing her music for the first time, my fascination and affection for traditional and new-traditional Korean music has grown exponentially. I can't get enough of Korean timbres (sound quality).

I have decided to post kugak & jazz album on my blog. As I get going, and let people know about my, little blog, I hope to hear from others about what albums I should put up. I hope this may in some small way increase non-Korean's awareness about this music I think is really cool. However, I will be somewhat picky about which albums I choose. There seems to be two basic types of kugak and jazz: one that highlights traditional Korean 'noisy' timbres and improvisational practices and combines this with similar avant-jazz styles and sounds, and on the other hand, those that refine kugak sounds and mix these with smooth jazz. I will include only albums from the former. The later does fill a need--a sense of romance or nostalgia perhaps--but it is not for me.

The first Kugak and jazz 국악과 재즈 album I have chosen is one of the first I know of:
Henry Kaiser, Charles K. Noyes, Sang-Won Park. (1983). Invite the Spirit 초혼 (招魂). [double LP] New York: Celluloid (CELL 5008/5009).

The web site
Hear Korea provides the following information on the recording:
Henry Kaiser-Electric and acoustic guitars
Charles K. Noyes-Drums, percussion, saw
Sang-Won Park-Kayagum, Vocals, Tanso
1983년 8월 뉴욕 녹음, 1984년 뉴욕 제작. 뒷표지에 연주자들 단체 흑백사진과 영문 해설(글:David Mayers) 수록. Engineer:Randy Adler, Production:Henry Kaiser/Charles K. Noyes, Mastering:Phil Brown, Calligraphy:Sang-Won Park, Photography:Michael Ayervais(Front) Thi-Linh Le(Back), Art work Art direction:Thi-Linh Le, Thanks to:Bill Laswell/Bob Shumaker/M.E.Miller/Dr. Hye-Ku Lee/Dr. Won-Kyong Cho/Prof. Man-Yong Hahn/Prof.Chae-Suk Lee/Robert Browning/Han-Hee Chung. All selections Live free improvisations.[LP 1] Side A) 2.CHOHON(약 6분)Side B) 1.SINPURI(약 17분).

It was reissued on CD in 1997 from Terrascape records, but still is not so easy to purchase, unless you do it online (those of you with credit cards--no we don't all have credit cards--that's for you). The CD lists these tracks:
Hurum Chohon Yonggari Sinpuri Sirum PahTah Sansoo Oo-AA-Iy


As can be noted from the track names, Park takes the lead for much of the album, certainly forming the structure of the improvisations. Unfortunately I am only going from memory. I heard this album at an aquaintance's house once and haven't got a copy for myself yet. Park is a Kayagŭm 가야금 player who was educated in South Korea but has lived and worked out of the USA since the early 1980s.

I've found an English language web site for Park Sang-Won, but not one in Korean. This seems a bit strange, so likely I've missed it, or perhaps it points to a lack of interest in Park in South Korea? I don't know so I shouldn't speculate untill I make sure there is not a site (There must be a site!). Park was a founding member of the eastern Asian traditional musics and jazz fusion group Far East Side Band. I will post their albums in weeks to come. Recently Park has worked with the Rova Sax Quartet from San Francisco.
 
My South Korea blog
Blog home
내 사진
이름:
위치: Seoul, 서울, South Korea
Previous posts
"eco-tourism" gone terribly wrong
홍진숙 Hong Chin-suk village 동네
my thesis' ongoing works cited
my new blog
ARCHIVES
2005-07-24 / 2005-07-31 / 2005-08-07 / 2005-09-11 / 2006-03-19 /


Powered by Blogger